Tender cornbread studded with sweet corn kernels baked on top of spicy vegetables and black beans makes for a fun vegan Mexican meal that deliciously serves a small crowd. Consider it for your next family get-together or as a game day eat for Super Bowl.
Vegan Tamale Pie
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease an 11×7-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and peppers, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in garlic, chipotle, tomatoes, and black beans and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over high heat, bring cornmeal, water, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk until thickened. Stir in pepper, paprika, and corn.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to prepared baking dish, spreading it evenly. Spread cornmeal mixture over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is baked and set. Place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes then slice and serve.