Vegan Blueberry Almond Muffins
- 1 cup vanilla soymilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the soymilk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes to make “buttermilk”.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, vanilla and almond extracts, and buttermilk mixture.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the berries.
- Fill muffin cups with batter and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in the pan on a cooling rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool the muffins directly on the cooling rack.
Tags: healthy recipes, vegan baking recipes, vegan breakfast recipes, vegan christmas recipes, vegan holiday recipes, vegan muffins