With their meaty texture, mushrooms are a palate-pleasing treat when you’re looking for a plant-based swap for meat. This simple but delish rice dish can be served as a side but is substantial enough that you can chow down on it as a vegan main course meal.
Mushroom Spinach Brown Rice
Serves 6 to 8
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil (do not drain)
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups spinach, torn into bite sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Fresh basil leaves, torn, for garnish
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring brown rice and broth or water to a boil. Lower heat to low, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes or until brown rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, combine tomatoes (and the oil) and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms soften and start to release their liquid.
- Add garlic, spinach, and oregano to skillet and continue to cook, stirring often, until spinach wilts. Remove from heat and keep warm until rice is cooked.
- When rice is cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add mushroom mixture and toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle generously with olive oil. Toss again.
- Serve rice hot, garnished with basil.