Brown Rice with Broccoli and Peppers
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 1 cup red or yellow bell pepper slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled vegan feta cheese alternative (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring rice and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, broccoli, and peppers and cook, stirring often, until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in garlic, coriander, orange zest, orange juice, and currants or raisins. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Keep vegetables warm until rice is cooked. Add rice to the vegetables and toss to combine.
- Stir in cilantro and cheese, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.