Fried Green Tomatoes
- Canola oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plain soymilk
- 1 cup fine to medium ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 medium to large green tomatoes, sliced
- Pour canola oil 2 inches high in a high-sided skillet over medium heat.
- While oil is heating, place flour in one bowl, soymilk in another bowl, and cornmeal in a third bowl.
- Season flour and soymilk with a pinch of salt and stir the remainder of salt, the Italian seasoning, and black pepper into the cornmeal.
- Dip tomato slices in flour, shaking off excess, then soymilk, then coat with cornmeal.
- Place battered tomato slices in hot oil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until light brown and crisp.
- Transfer fried green tomatoes to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Serve with a green salad or layer between two slices of whole grain bread spread with cashew cheese.