I’m on a food holiday kick, using them as inspiration to experiment in the kitchen with new ingredients and try new recipes. National Sugar Cookie Day is July 9 and it’s a great day to get in the kitchen and bake some cookies. This vegan sugar cookie recipe is easy to make and features the new organic coconut spread from Earth Balance.
Vegan Sugar Cookies
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Generous pinch of salt
- 7 ounces Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk creamer
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat coconut spread and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add creamer and vanilla to sugar mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Gradually add flour mixture, blending on low speed, until combined.
- Form dough into a log and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- If you want round sugar cookies, simply unwrap log and slice log crosswise into 1/4-inch thick circles, arranging circles on the baking sheets.
- If you want shaped cookies, unwrap log and allow dough to sit for 10 minutes to slightly soften. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut with your favorite cookie cutters. Arrange on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set and lightly browned. Let cool then decorate as desired.