Fried onion rings are one of those occasional indulgent foods of which I can’t get enough (precisely why they are an infrequent item on my regular menu). They are especially delish dipped in ketchup while I drink a vanilla shake. Here is my favorite vegan recipe for basic fried onion rings (partner them up with a non-dairy shake for a real treat) that you can serve alongside your vegan burgers.
Fried Onion Rings
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- In a deep fryer or deep pan, heat oil until it reaches 350 degrees F. (The oil should be about 2 to 3 inches deep.)
- Separate onion slices into rings and set aside.
- In a wide shallow bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper. Add broth, stirring, to make a batter.
- Using tongs, dip onion rings one at a time into the batter to coat.
- Place rings in oil and fry until batter turns a nice golden brown.
- Transfer onion rings to paper towels to drain. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve warm.