You are what you eat, and Mimi Kirk, author of Live Raw: Raw Food Recipes for Good Health and Timeless Beauty (Skyhorse Publishing, June 2011), encourages eating passionately and compassionately. Filling up on raw foods is not only in line with a cruelty-free lifestyle, it will also healthfully fuel your body with the nutrients your body needs to look and feel younger. We don’t know if Kirk’s fennel salad will take years off your appearance, but we do know that it will tantalize your taste buds with every flavorful bite.
Recipe adapted from Live Raw by Mimi Kirk.
- 2 cups fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 cup arugula or spinach, washed, dried, chilled
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- Cashew Parmesan cheese to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Freshly milled black pepper
- Pine nuts
- Toss fennel, arugula or spinach, red pepper, and cheese in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add half of the dressing to the salad and lightly toss. Add more dressing until all the leaves are lightly covered.
- Place salad on 2 chilled plates and top with a spinkle of pine nuts and a grind of freshly milled black pepper.