Blackberry season is my favorite time of year — not only does it mean summer is here, it also means I get to eat blackberries with abandon. This blackberry lemon thyme pie is by far my favorite way to bite into these irresistible berries.
Blackberry Lemon Thyme Pie
- 1 recipe pie dough for a double crust pie
- 6 cups fresh ripe blackberries
- Sugar to taste, depending on the sweetness of the berries
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons quick cooking instant tapioca
- Divide dough into two equal pieces and roll each out to 13-inches diameter.
- Use one part of the dough to line a 10-inch pie dish. Place the second part of dough on a sheet of waxed paper and cover with waxed paper. Place pie dish and top crust in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, combine berries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon, thyme leaves, and tapioca. Set aside for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Transfer blackberry mixture to pie dish. Top with second portion of dough, trim, and press edges of the dough together, crimping as you go. Slash the top of the pie.
- Bake for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until crust has lightly browned and filling is bubbly. (Use a pie protector or aluminum foil to keep the edges from burning, if necessary.)
- Let pie sit on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with non-dairy topping, if desired, and garnish with blackberries.