When the need for vegan Italian comfort food arises, cook up this easy vegan puttanesca dish featuring delicious chunks of olives and fragrant garlic and spices (and sans anchovies). Make extra and freeze in individual servings for easy reheat as a work lunch or fast vegan dinner when you don’t want to cook.
Vegan Fettuccini Puttanesca
- 1 pound whole wheat fettuccini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green or black olives
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 (32-ounce) can chunky style crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in olives, capers, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and parsley. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately.