Vegan Reuben sandwiches really hit the spot when you’re craving a hearty, deli-style meal that surpasses the usual veggie-based sandwich fillings. When you’re really hungry or in dire need of vegan comfort food, sink your teeth into this Tempeh Reuben recipe.
Tempeh Reuben Sandwich
- 2 thick slices of tempeh
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices vegan Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 4 slices vegan rye bread
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, warmed
- Vegan Thousand Island Dressing
- Slice tempeh horizontally in half.
- Heat oil in a large skillet oven medium heat.
- Cook tempeh slices for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and top 2 slices of tempeh with cheese.
- Spread margarine on the bread and place bread in the skillet. Toast for 1 to 2 minutes each side.
- Transfer toast to a cutting board. Top 2 toasts each with the cheese-topped tempeh, remaining tempeh slices, sauerkraut, and dressing.
- Top with remaining toasts, slice in half, and serve.