If you’re thinking of taking your vegan diet to the next level — raw foodism — Ani Phyo’s third raw food cookbook Ani’s Raw Food Asia: Easy East-West Fusion Recipes (De Capo Press, 2011) is a must-read. Offering a delicious variety of recipes with Asian influences from around the world, Phyo delivers dozens of easy raw food recipes, eco-entertaining tips, menus, and tips for longevity and happiness drawn from the Eastern culture. Ani’s Raw Food features salads, sides, soups, curries, rolls, wraps, pancakes, noodles, rice, desserts, and even drinks. Though I’d like to try every recipe in Phyo’s collection, the Thai-style Vanilla Jalapeno Cocktail caught my eye. Made with white wine, vanilla, and a hot pepper, this is a vegan drink that will heat up your evening.
Vanilla Jalapeno Cocktail
Recipe from Ani’s Raw Food Asia by Ani Phyo.
- 4 cups white wine
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped, or 1 tablespoon alcohol-free pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sliced jalapeno, or to taste
- 4 slices jalapeno, for garnish
- Place wine, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon sliced jalapeno in a cocktail shaker.
- Muddle to mix well.
- Strain and pour into 4 cocktail glasses. Garnish with a jalapeno slice. Enjoy immediately.