Spaghetti squash is the ultimate low-carb, low-calorie, and gluten-free substitute for regular wheat pasta. In this tasty vegan salad, tender strands of spaghetti squash are tossed with a flavorful assortment of Italian-inspired ingredients.
Italian Spaghetti Squash Salad
- 1 medium to large spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or more to taste
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup sliced, pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup finely shredded fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- Sprinkling of dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prick squash all over with a fork and place in a baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes or until squash is soft when squeezed.
- Set squash on a cutting board and let cool enough to handle. Use a sharp knife to cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop seeds out of squash then use a large fork to shred the squash into a large mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, vinegar, onion, peppers, olives, basil, and lemon zest, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- If you want to serve warm, immediately garnish with pine nuts and Italian seasoning. If you prefer a chilled salad, refrigerate for a few hours, garnishing with pine nuts and seasoning right before serving.
Cook’s note: You can also garnish with a sprinkling of vegan cheese or nutritional yeast to give this vegan salad a cheesy flavor.