Whole wheat couscous cooks up in 5 minutes, making it a quick and easy foundation for whatever flavorful ingredients you have on hand. This vegan dinner recipe features tender cubes of sweet potatoes, juicy apricots, warm spices, and fresh herbs. For a showy presentation, serve this vegan couscous dish stuffed in roasted eggplant halves.
Whole Wheat Couscous with Sweet Potato and Apricots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced sweet potato
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat couscous
- 6 large apricots, pitted, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Heat oil in a deep, wide skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in sweet potato and 1 cup broth. Cook, stirring, until broth comes to a boil.
- Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sweet potato is softened, about 15 minutes. Stir in apricots, curry, coriander, and zest. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot over high heat, bring remaining broth and couscous to a boil. Remove from heat, cover pot, and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Transfer couscous to a large bowl and add vegetable mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley and mint. Serve warm.