Fresh blackberries are irresistible right from the brambles or off the farmers’ market counter, but bubbly warm with a vegan crust makes these nutrient-dense recipes even more of a swoon-worthy treat. Best yet, this vegan dessert recipe can be made with any sweet ripe berry in season.
Vegan Blackberry Cobbler
- 3 to 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups white whole wheat flour, divided
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, chilled, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook blackberries, sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and orange juice.
- Transfer berries to an 8-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add margarine and use your fingers to rub margarine into flour mixture until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Add coconut milk and stir to form a thick, sticky dough.
- Drop dough in mounds to cover the blackberries.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and cooked through.
- Serve warm with vegan ice cream.