Traditionally made with bulgur (cracked wheat), tabouleh is a scrumptious side dish featuring fresh vegetables and herbs. Amaranth is a small gluten-free grain that seamlessly replaces bulgur in this vegan gluten-free side dish recipe.
- 1 cup amaranth
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring amaranth and broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Spread amaranth onto a rimmed baking sheet and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato, parsley, cucumber, green onions, olives, mint, lemon juice and zest, garlic, and olive oil, tossing to coat.
- Add amaranth to the bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve chilled.