Who knew a gluten-free grain tinier than a poppyseed would be power-packed with nutrition? According to The Teff Company, growers of Maskal Teff, teff is loaded with more calcium than milk, 80 percent of the recommended daily allowance for iron, as much protein as an egg, and 8 grams of fiber per 2-ounce serving. Teff comes in ivory and brown varieties and has a sweet taste, making it the perfect gluten-free grain for a vegan breakfast or dessert. Dive your fork into this vegan gluten-free teff apricot pie.
Gluten-Free Mocha Tofu Apricot Teff Pie
This is a recipe from organic chef, Leslie Cerier, who developed the teff recipes on TeffCo.com. Cerier is also the author of The Quick and Easy Organic Gourmet and Going Wild in the Kitchen as well as the co-author of Sea Vegetable Celebration.
- 2/3 cup teff grain
- 1 cup dried apricots or other dried fruits, finely chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pound tofu
- 1/2-2/3 cups rice syrup or 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup grain coffee (eg. Pero)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make the crust, cook teff, dried fruit, and salt in the boiling water until water is absorbed.
- Pour and spread teff mixture evenly into a casserole dish or large pie pan.
- Blend tofu, rice or maple syrup, tahini, coffee, and vanilla in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour tofu mocha filling into teff crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the top is slightly darker brown.
- Chill then serve.