Grilled bananas are smoky sweet and can be eaten right off the grill as a great-tasting vegan dessert, or they can be transformed into a scrumptious vegan banana pudding. This grilled banana pudding is the perfect sweet treat for vegan entertaining this summer. Serve this vegan dessert as part of your summer holiday menus or keep on hand for a satisfying summer vegan snack.
Grilled Banana Pudding
- 5 medium bananas, peeled, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1-1/2 cups vanilla soy creamer
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 24 vegan vanilla wafers plus more for garnish
- Ground cinnamon for dusting
- Preheat grill to medium and oil the grate.
- Brush bananas with butter and grill for 3 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and whisk in creamer. Continue to whisk until mixture begins to thicken and comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Set aside.
- Cut bananas into bite-sized chunks. Coarsely crush 24 wafers.
- Layer bananas, pudding, and crushed wafers in 8 individual-sized dessert dishes or ramekins.
- Cover pudding with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a few hours or until chilled.
- Garnish with extra vanilla wafers and serve with a dusting of cinnamon.