A light vegan soup is the perfect meal for the rainy spring days ahead. Dried wild mushrooms, loaded with earthy flavor and chewy texture, are an essential cooking ingredient for the vegan kitchen. If you’ve never tried them, you’ll consider them a vegan must-have after one sip of this satisfying soup recipes.
Wild Mushroom Soup
- 3/4 cup dried shiitake, porcini, or morel mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound crimini or fresh wild mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced crosswise (green and white parts)
- Pinch of cayenne
- Lime wedges
- Stir dried mushrooms and hot water together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add crimini mushrooms to the pot and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add garlic, ginger, and lime zest and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in dried mushrooms and liquid, broth, tamari, and vinegar.
- Return pot to the heat and bring to a low simmer, adjusting heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in green onions and season with cayenne.
- Serve soup hot, garnished with a lime wedge.