What’s better than a warm, homebaked, sweet tooth satisfying cookie pulled straight from the oven? A delicious and nutritious vegan cookie made with superfoods. This indulgent yet healthy cookie recipe is courtesy of Tina Haupert, author of Carrots ‘N’ Cake: Healthy Living One Carrot and Cupcake At A Time.
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Haupert says, “These cookies taste much too delicious to be good for you!” Yet they are, indeed, a healthy vegan treat, featuring ground flaxseed, banana, soy milk, agave nectar, whole wheat flour, walnuts, and canola oil.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup uncooked oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, mashed
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease cookie sheets.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until batter is blended evenly.
- Use a tablespoon to portion cookies onto prepared baking sheets, approximately 1 to 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from baking sheets and allow to cool on a wire rack.