Muffins are an easy grab for a fast breakfast. Made with whole grains, they become an even smarter vegan breakfast choice, providing fiber and other nutrients essential for a sustained boost of morning energy and overall health. These warmly spiced vegan muffins are loaded with flavor and freeze easy so you can make an extra batch to keep on hand for those hustle bustle mornings you don’t have time to bake.
Cinnamon Orange Zest Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and grease a 12-serving muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons ground flax seed and water. Set aside for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and orange zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, pumpkin, and yogurt. Whisk in flax seed and water mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until ingredients are combined and mixture is just moistened.
- Fill muffin pan with muffin batter and bake for 25 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched.
- Let cool in muffin pan for 5 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Serve warm or allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If desired, freeze completely cooled muffins for up to 2 months.