Mac and cheese is an American comfort food that no kitchen should be without. With a few ingredient modifications, even vegans can happily sink their forks into this ‘cheesy’ pasta treat. Adapted from Melisser Elliott’s vegan book The Vegan Girl’s Guide to Life, this vegan mac and cheese recipe will quickly become one of your family’s favorites.
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in 3 cups water for 1 to 3 hours
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Dash of turmeric
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 2 liter casserole dish.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package directions until al dente. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place cashews and water in a blender and puree to make cashew milk. Set aside.
- In a dry saucepan, toast flours over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add margarine and oil to the flour and whisk well to make a roux.
- Reduce heat slightly and stir constantly until the roux is a light peanut-butter color, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully whisk in cashew milk, beating vigorously until smooth. Increase heat to medium and whisk in chipotle, turmeric, liquid smoke, salt, and tamari, whisking constantly until sauce begins to bubble and thicken.
- Whisk in nutritional yeast until smooth then remove from heat.
- Pour pasta into prepared casserole dish and pour in all but about 1-1/2 cups of the sauce. Mix pasta and sauce to coat. Cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. If desired, cook for 1 to 2 minutes under the broiler to lightly brown. Serve hot.