Dairy-based butter may be out of the question, but luscious, creamy banana butter is a perfect condiment for the vegan diet. This recipe is from Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen (Rodale, March 2011). Canning instructions included, if you can resist eating all of this vegan recipe in a sitting.
Makes 3 pints
- 3-1/2 pounds bananas, peeled, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Place the bananas, sugar, lemon juice, spices, and salt in a medium pot and cook over medium-high heat for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent scorching, until bananas resemble a thick butter.
- Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Check for air bubbles, wipe the rims, and seal. Process for 10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Rodale Books from Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen by Kelly Geary and Jessie Knadler.