Making the perfect vegan pie crust isn’t much different than making a non-vegan pie crust. You gingerly combine flour, salt, fat, and ice cold water into a dough. Instead of butter, you simply substitute vegan margarine and/or vegetable shortening. Here’s a basic vegan pie crust for sweet vegan pies or savory vegan tarts.
Vegan Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Makes 2 pie crusts
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine, chilled, cut into little pieces
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into little pieces
- 6 to 7 tablespoons ice cold water
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade, combine flour and salt. Pulse a few times to mix.
- Add margarine and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-sized pieces.
- Sprinkle in 6 tablespoons of water and pulse a few times to see if the dough comes together. If it doesn’t, sprinkle in a bit more water and pulse just until a dough forms.
- Dump dough out on a lightly floured surface and divide in two.
- Shape into two balls, careful to not overwork the dough. Flatten balls into thick disks then wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 2 days, letting dough warm slightly before rolling out. You may also place disks in a freezer bag and freeze up to 2 months, letting dough thaw before rolling out.