Spring is the green season, giving you a ripe picking of fresh produce to inspire your vegan meals. This vegan pasta salad incorporates in-season spring veggies and a homemade vegan dressing. Serve it as an Earth Day recipe or for your vegan Easter celebration. Visit your farmers’ market for the freshest vegetables and herbs.
Green Pasta Salad
- 8 ounces whole wheat or vegetable corkscrew pasta
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 8 ounces fava beans, shelled, blanched
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces vegan cheese, cut into cubes
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with a little olive oil if pasta starts to stick.
- Add vegetables and arugula to the bowl and toss to combine.
- In a food processor, combine herbs, lemon juice and zest, garlic, agave, and vinegar and puree. With the machine running, add olive oil until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss well to coat. Add vegan cheese and toss again. Serve immediately.