Top your homemade vegan pizzas with the crop of spring veggies showing up in the supermarket and farmers’ market stands. Asparagus, arugula, fennel, new potatoes, Vidalia onions, watercress, and fresh herbs are all tasty choices for oven-baked or grilled pizzas. Here’s one of our favorite spring season vegan pizzas.
Spring Veggie Pizza
- 1 recipe for 10-inch vegan pizza dough or ready-to-bake crust
- 8 small asparagus spears, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup finely shaved fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup finely shaved Vidalia onion
- 2 small new potatoes, scrubbed, thinly sliced
- Handful of arugula or watercress
- Handful of mixed fresh herbs, such as basil and parsley
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll fresh pizza dough into a 10-inch round and place on a pizza peel or the back of a large baking sheet. If using a ready-to-bake crust, place it on the peel or back of a large baking sheet.
- Scatter vegetables and herbs over pizza and sprinkle with cheese.
- Slide pizza onto the pizza stone and bake for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and cheese is bubbly.
- Use the pizza peel to remove pizza from the stone. If you aren’t using a pizza peel, firmly grab pizza with a set of tongs and slide it onto the back of a baking sheet to remove from the oven.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then slice and serve.
Cook’s note: If you don’t have a pizza stone, prepare pizza on a large baking sheet and bake pizza on the sheet in the oven.