Low in calories, distinctive in flavor, and fun to eat spear by spear, asparagus becomes a silky soup in this vegan recipe. For best results, choose young, thin asparagus, and make sure it is cooked until very tender. Serve asparagus soup as a lovely first course for your spring vegan meals. To add more texture, simply garnish with a few asparagus stalks.
Silky Asparagus Soup
- 1-3/4 pounds asparagus, woody ends removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup rice or soy milk powder
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 3 cups soy milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs of your choice
- 1/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Steam asparagus until very tender. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk together dry milk and flour, then gradually whisk in soy milk.
- Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick like cream.
- Whisk in salt, pepper, cayenne, and herbs. Add asparagus to mixture and stir just to heat through.
- Carefully transfer soup in batches to a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with almonds.