Just because a food product is labeled vegan doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the healthiest food choice for your vegan diet. If you want to replace processed vegan foods with fresh alternatives, making your own “cheese” is a delicious place to start. This cashew cheese recipe is as easy as they come and is the tastiest raw food recipe for cheese you’ll spread with your knife.
Lemon Garlic Cashew Cheese
Makes about 1-1/2 cups
- 1-1/2 cups) plain cashew nuts
- 6 tablespoons water plus more for soaking
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place cashews in a mixing bowl and cover with water for soaking. Let stand for at least 2 hours.
- Drain cashews and transfer to a food processor. Add the 6 tablespoons of water, lemon zest and juice, nutritional yeast, and garlic. Puree, scraping down sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper and blend again.
- Transfer cashew cheese to a bowl, cover, and let stand for 24 hours before refrigerating.
- Use cheese within 4 to 5 days.
Cook’s note: You can make cashew cheese without garlic and slather it on Gluten-Free Banana Bread, Applesauce Pecan Bread, and Whole Grain Cinnamon Swirl Bread for a scrumptious vegan breakfast treat.