A healthy dish of vegan comfort food, this tasty combination of tofu, spinach, and chickpeas is just what the the doctor ordered for a blue mood or a hearty meal to ward off the chilly winter weather. Impressive in presentation, this vegan dinner recipe is also ideal for entertaining.
Tofu with Spinach and Chickpeas
- 1 (16-ounce) block firm tofu, drained of liquid
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups spinach
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- Place a double layer of paper towels on a plate. Set tofu on the plate and cover with another double layer of paper towels. Place a heavy object, like a cookbook, on the top plate to press the liquid out of the tofu. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cut tofu into cubes and place in the skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until tofu is lightly browned. With a slotted spoon or spatula, carefully transfer tofu to a plate and keep warm.
- Add onion to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until softened. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, and coriander, stirring for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add spinach to the skillet, tossing to mix ingredients and wilt spinach. Add a bit of vegetable broth if the skillet gets dry.
- Stir in remaining broth, chickpeas, and tofu and cook until heated through. Serve warm.
More delish vegan dinner recipes!