Rich in antioxidants and natural sweetness, this delectable vegan dessert sauce can be poured over vegan treats, such as vegan rice pudding, cake, and ice cream. You can also drizzle fruit sauce over vegan breakfast favorites like pancakes and waffles. Enjoy homemade fruit sauce year-round by using berries in season or frozen berries you have on hand.
Vegan Fruit Sauce
Makes 2 cups
- 4 cups fresh (or frozen, thawed) pitted cherries or other fruit of your choice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or more to taste depending on the sweetness of the fruit
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Juice and finely grated orange zest from 1 orange
- Combine fruit and sugar in a large saucepan and let macerate for 2 hours.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond extract and orange juice and zest. Let cool completely before transfering to an airtight container and storing in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Cook’s note: To preserve, ladle sauce into freezer jars and freeze for up to 3 months.