Chinese 5-spice powder gives these tender vegan scones a warm, enchanting flavor and aroma that your morning guests will love. Serve this vegan breakfast recipe with your favorite coffee or tea and round out your meal with fresh fruit and a bit of vegan cheese.
5-Spice Spelt Scones
Makes 8 scones
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2-1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegan margarine, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegan buttermilk
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried currants
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir flax and water together. Set aside for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 5-spice powder, and salt.
- Add margarine and use your fingers to rub margarine into flour mixture until a coarse meal forms.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flax mixture, buttermilk, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, gently mixing just until moist. Stir in currants.
- Form dough into 8 balls and place them on baking sheet.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cook’s note: Alternatively, for perfectly triangular scones, you can place dough portions in a Scottish scone pan.