Who says vegan breakfast recipes have to be boring? Not us! This vegan French toast is a welcome eye-opener, featuring coconut, lime, and vanilla flavors. Ground flax replaces eggs in traditional French toast recipes while the coconut milk and lime zest give this vegan breakfast dish tropical flair. A hearty, healthy meal, serve vegan French toast to your holiday guests on Christmas morning or on New Year’s Day as a celebratory vegan start to the year.
Vegan French Toast
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax and water and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together flax mixture, coconut milk, flour, lime zest, and vanilla extract.
- Generously coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- While skillet is heating, dip bread in coconut milk mixture, soaking both sides.
- Cook slices of bread for 2 to 3 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes or until both sides are lightly browned.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.