Vegan families can have a tasty taco night with tempeh and all the fixings. This vegan taco recipe is a quick and easy vegan recipe whenever the need for vegan Mexican food arises. Serve tacos with a side of Spanish rice and salsa.
Makes 8 tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces tempeh, crumbled
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Taco seasoning to taste
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 (6-inch) whole wheat or corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 4 ounces shredded vegan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh and pepper and cook, stirring, for about 6 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning, water, beans, and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve tempeh mixure in the tortillas with the onions, lettuce, and cheese.