Dunk these yummy vegan cookies into a glass of your favorite flavor of soy milk or crumble them atop a bowl of vegan ice cream for a tasty vegan dessert. White whole wheat flour lends whole grain goodness without making cookies dense while the addition of slivered almonds gives the cookies a lovely nutty crunch. Package up a few extra batches and give them away as delectable vegan holiday gifts.
Vegan Almond Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons almond milk, optional
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine margarine and sugars and beat until smooth.
- Add almond extract and beat until incorporated.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to margarine mixture and blend together. If dough is particularly dry, blend in almond milk.
- Add slivered almonds and blend just until incorporated.
- Divide dough into 24 balls and flatten slightly.
- Bake on prepared cookie sheets for 18 to 20 minutes or until set. Let cool on wire racks.